Friday, June 11, 2010

Hydrangea Tutorial

So I have been getting a few request to put out a tutorial on my Hydrangea Flowers...
So here it goes!

FLOWER

Step oneYou will need to punch one of each of the following punches: 1" circle; 1 1/4" circle; 1 3/8" circle; oval punch; small oval; and word window. The punch out of the word window will need to be put through the punch again in order to make it shorter in length then the sm oval. I used lovely lilac for the base punches and bashful blue for the flowers.


step two
Layer the ovals and circles with dimensionals, make sure to add a layer of dimensionals on the bottom of the stack

step three
Then you will need to punch approx. 70 small 4 petal flowers out. This punch is part of the itty bitty shapes punch pack.


step four
Sponge the edge of all 70 flowers. I used lovely lilac to sponge on bashful blue.


step five
bend up the petals on each flower, making them into a "cup" shape


step six
with small glue dots, attach each small flower to the base, starting with the center


step seven
When you get to the edge of the top layer, start adding the flowers at an angle to fill in the "steps"


step eight
Completely fill on all spaces with small flowers, even so they hang off the edge slightly of the bottom layer


LEAVES


step one
Take a piece of card stock 3" wide and score it down the center at 1 1/2". I used old olive card stock and garden green ink for shading.


step two
Hand cut a leaf shape similar to this one



step three
scratch with the tip of a scissors or a exacto knife- "veins" into the leaf. They do not need to be extremely deep, as they will show more once you sponge

step four
cut small notches into the leaf around the perimeter


step five
cut out the notches to give it a jagged edge


step six
sponge around the outside of the leaf, then fold it in half and sponge over the center line. After you can go over the entire leaf lightly to bring the veins out.

Step six
Curl the leaf up with bone folder to give dimension, the add flowers. See my post a few days ago for more pictures.



14 comments:

Kathy said...

Really, really beautiful! You are so talented :) Kathy

Hateriffic said...

Great job on the tutorial Heidi.

Kim said...

love this, wait I love all your stuff!! TFS Heidi, your work is beautiful!! :D

Ellen Kemper said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial - it was easy to follow and I now have a beautiful hydrangea card sitting on my desk because I just couldn't wait to try it.

Fabulous idea!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Tammy said...

These are beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial. Here's a tip for cupping the flowers-place the flower on a soft pad (back of a mouse pad works) and push in the middle with a stylus.

Paula Dobson said...

What a beautiful project! TFS

Julia said...

OMG that is amazing!! and you sponged 70 little flowers!!!! I hope the person who got this card appreciates the work you have done, it is so STUNNING!!!!
and thanks for posting the tutorial, very generous of you. Ok I am gushing now! lol just blown away with it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Heidi for this wonderful tutorial. This is an awesome Hydrangea and I love Hydrangeas. I have enjoyed your Lily tutorial and can't wait to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

Kathynruss said...

Glue dots! Yikes. This is when you really need quick dry tacky glue. That and an Embellie Gellie to pick up and place each flower and you're good to go! Will have to try these soon. Into magnolias with ornament punch right now.

Ms said...

just stunning.... I've saved it so that hopefully I'll get good enuf to tackle this one. Thank you for sharing your wonderful creativity

Noblekatt said...

great tutorial! totally inspired me, I am off to order the tiny flower punch! I LOVE hydrangeas! I want to do something like this and frame it for my walls!
Jenn Post
Noblekatt(at)hotmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

WOW .. I NEED A CARD TO HAD AN OLD GIRLFRIENDS DAUGHTER ..THIS WILL ROCK .. YOU ROCK ... THIS IS AMAZING KEEP UP THE MIND BLOWING IDEAS ... YOURS IN INK ANNE ...